Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the discussion by a select few of Life, the Universe, and Everything

2 posters

Rewrite the Commandments (yes, another ethics post...)

Dracotorix
    Dracotorix
    Admin

Rewrite the Commandments (yes, another ethics post...) Empty Rewrite the Commandments (yes, another ethics post...)

Post  Dracotorix Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:45 pm

So, the global community has decided that ethics is too confusing, and has hired you to erase those ancient stone tablets and write in only the commandments you think are valuable and necessary. In other words, values and "rules" you think everyone should (and can?) live by. In other words, define what it means to be "good" (presuming that you think everyone should "be good"-- if not, you could always just write something like "survive as you see fit".) And you also have the option to just leave it blank (especially if you're a Calvinist). Try to make the rules concise, few, and meaningful in almost everything (this is not allowed: "209,876th Commandment: Thou shalt not tie thy step-nephew's beagle to a bottle of grape jelly and then float the entire contraption out to sea. 209, 877th Commandment: Thou shalt not shoot a trebuchet at a group of small children. 209,878th Commandment: Thou shalt not..."). If we can come to a consensus and create the "42 code of morals" or something, great. It's much more likely that everyone's will be so different that we'll never be able to agree on anything as a group, but that's okay too, as long as the discussions have no casualties except for the occasional rule.
    Dracotorix
    Dracotorix
    Admin

Rewrite the Commandments (yes, another ethics post...) Empty Re: Rewrite the Commandments (yes, another ethics post...)

Post  Dracotorix Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:40 pm

You know what, cancel that. I've decided that the Wiccan Rede ("An it harm none, do as ye will") is all we actually need. It covers everything, and it's timeless. The Christian/Jewish/Muslim(?) commandments were fashioned out of religious doctrines and SOCIAL STANDARDS OF THE TIME, not universal truths (the only really useful one is "Thou shalt not kill"-- but even then, what if someone wants to be killed, or if you are NOT AUTOTROPHIC and HAVE TO KILL TO SURVIVE?) Feel free to respond to the original post with your own set of commandments, but I'm with the witches on this one!
    Saradkad
    Saradkad

Rewrite the Commandments (yes, another ethics post...) Empty Re: Rewrite the Commandments (yes, another ethics post...)

Post  Saradkad Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:22 pm

1. Thou shalt be a part of the community of life.
    2. Thou shalt not kill anything without a reason,
    3. Thou shalt respect evrey thing/one, and give them their due.
    4. Thou shalt respect thyself, and give thyself your due.
    Due = Basic nessecities to survive (air, water, food, shelter, companionship, ice cream, etc.)
    5. Thou shalt not impose any of thine own belifs on any other being, except in the most dire of circumstances.
    6. Thou shalt not insult me for running out of things to say.
    7. THou shalt not juggle upside down, under water, in a zero-g enviorment.
    8. Thou shalt make a sequal to Avatar.
    9. Thou shalt use the words thou shalt on a daily basis.
    10. THou shalt buy tickets to Les Mis from me.
    Seriously,I think my first 7 are very good.
    Dracotorix
    Dracotorix
    Admin

Post  Dracotorix Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Could you define/clarify this one a bit more?

2. Thou shalt not kill anything without a reason,
    Alright. But I think this is unnecessary because it's sort of included/implied in #3.

3. Thou shalt respect evrey thing/one, and give them their due.
    So you're saying I have a moral obligation to do good, not just to avoid doing bad? Alright. But I don't know if it's really all that horrible for one busy individual to not give EVERYBODY in the world food and shelter...

4. Thou shalt respect thyself, and give thyself your due.
    Due = Basic nessecities to survive (air, water, food, shelter, companionship, ice cream, etc.)

5. Thou shalt not impose any of thine own belifs on any other being, except in the most dire of circumstances.
    This is... iffy. I don't think this is even possible. Everyone does this, at least subconsciously. It's annoying but it isn't worth a universal rule or commandment.

6. Thou shalt not insult me for running out of things to say.
    I REFUSE. Why are you even writing these? I specifically stated you did not need 10 commandments.

7. THou shalt not juggle upside down, under water, in a zero-g enviorment.
    But that's my dream! YOU'RE CRUSHING MY DREAMS

8. Thou shalt make a sequal to Avatar.
    Sequel. Also, have you seen the other Avatar (as in the show? As in the Last Airbender? It's good.)

9. Thou shalt use the words thou shalt on a daily basis.
    I approve.

10. THou shalt buy tickets to Les Mis from me
    No. I'm getting free tickets/stealing them from my mother.
    Saradkad
    Saradkad

Post  Saradkad Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Could you define/clarify this one a bit more?
    Realizing that you're a part of the world, and must live withen its laws. Something like that.

2.Thou shalt not kill anything without a reason,
    Alright. But I think this is unnecessary because it's sort of included/implied in #3.
    I just wrote these as they came, so redundany is likely.
    Slight edit: GOOD reason. Not a BAD reason, like "That rabbit stole a quarter from me." GOOD reason would be "I need food."

3.Thou shalt respect evrey thing/one, and give them their due.
    So you're saying I have a moral obligation to do good, not just to avoid doing bad? Alright. But I don't know if it's really all that horrible for one busy individual to not give EVERYBODY in the world food and shelter...
    I left this one vauge on purpose/due to lazyness - you could interpret it as don't deny anybody anything, or give others what you feel they disirve (spelling alert), or as go out and do some good in the world, or go help evreyone you can. What I meant was "Be fair." Wish I has thought of that before...
    Also, I defined the word "Due" later. That definition applies for this one, too.

4.Thou shalt respect thyself, and give thyself your due.

This is... iffy. I don't think this is even possible. Everyone does this, at least subconsciously. It's annoying but it isn't worth a universal rule or commandment.

What I meant was "Don't go around crusading, or converting." Of course our viewpoints come up in conversation, and of course we defend them and debate them, but we shouldn't go around saying "I'm right, your wrong, change." Of course, in dire circumstances, somebody might have to change, so I added that last part in.

6-10. Yeah.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm